Saturday, September 26, 2009

WHAT!?! You were EXPELLED???

Today I am going to share with you about a moment in my life that many of you might be ashamed of me for me. Folks, those of you who do not know me well might not be aware of my opinionated mouth. When I was in 8th grade my big mouth got me into what you might think as big trouble, and in reality it set me free, and continues to do so today. I share this story with you, as you might have children or friends that have a big opinionated mouth too. This is an opportunity where you may learn of the blessings of just such a gift and might go so far as using it in your life.

When I was a kid I perceived my dad as a big mean bad dude who was a totalitarian in my life. That is not really how it was, it was just my perception. Well… since my dad sheltered me, fed me, clothed me and also gave me $$ for fun things I subordinated myself to his belief system to survive. At that time I was not aware of an alternate strategy to get all of the things I wanted and needed. Do you know what it is like to stifle yourself for someone else’s beliefs? Well put it this way… I was a walking BOMB of emotion ready to explode at any minute!

My parents thought highly of parochial school, and I attend this type of school 10/12 years of general education in the US. While parochial education is valuable there are a number of drawbacks to this type of education. For me personally my educational growth was limited. Usually the teachers that taught us were managing 3-4 grades in one class room. The attention to each class was phenomenal when there were challenging learning experiences, but the teacher was limited to how challenging he/she could make it, as they had to set many of the classes for all grades they were teaching. I received an excellent education for me at that time, though often I was bored with not being challenged enough.

During my 7th grade year three of my classmates were allowed to take 7th and 8th grade at one time and advance to high school. WOW!, was I ever jealous. I was so eager at this point to be in high school, and as far away from my parents as I could possibly be. My mom was a total brat and wouldn’t let me do this. She made me stick with the original program of 7th one year and 8th the next. She was selfish and didn’t want me to grow up to fast. Her wisdom was… “don’t rush it Janis, you have your whole life to live." Also, I think she just wanted me around a little longer, before I grew up too much, and would leave her to find a new mission and purpose in her own life.

I do not really remember the circumstances of the situation, and I clearly remember the results: GETTING EXPELLED FROM SCHOOL. So, here I am in 8th grade within 1-2 weeks of beginning the new school year. Mrs. Hansen was clearly doing something wrong according to my values. Mind you, she was being who she is, exactly as she is, not good, not bad, just real. Well, I decided to stand up in the room of 25-30 students and promptly give my perceived valuable opinion of just how inadequate she was as a teacher and principal of the school.

Clearly based on results this might not have been a wise strategy to some of you. For me, it was the very best possible strategy at the time. Remember, I mentioned I was a bored, emotional BOMB, ready to blow. Mrs. Hansen had NOTHING over me, she did not feed me, shelter me, cloth me or at this point give me anything I wanted. I felt quite safe in verbalizing my opinion. Well… to put it bluntly all ‘hell’ broke loose.

Suddenly I was requested not to come back to school. Thankfully the school board met with Mrs. Hansen and agreed that I was not wanted back at school. THEY REJECTED ME! The despair of my actions bothered me for a week or so. I had regret of acting out so outrageously. I cried tears of sadness, not for what I had done, but for being rejected for sharing my opinions. I was so angry that these Bible do-gooders couldn’t love me for who I was. I now know, they did love me for who I am, and that tough love was the best thing they could have ever done. I am so grateful they followed through on what they perceived as the best action.

I had the privilege of attending public school that year in my home town. At parochial school our 8th grade class was a group of 3 with one teacher shared all day and then to 2 after I left. ;). At my new school, I was now in a class of 100 students and a different teacher for EVERY CLASS. My mind was finally being stimulated to levels I hadn’t realized available to me. I actually was able to be in classes that challenged me mentally like never before. It was awesome to be able to be with so many more people and have new challenges. I had both good and bad moments that year with classes and fellow students. I had competitions and challenges. I had the opportunity for more people to like me or dislike me. The end result… I calmed, as I had so many more ways to express myself and grow.

If any of you have blown up or done in your perception terrible and awful things…look in your life and see how it has benefited you. Be thankful to those who you perceive have rejected you in the process. By them rejecting you, it moved you to new people, new experiences etc. where you needed to be to grow to your next level. Quite possibly had you stayed in that current situation you may have become stagnated and felt as if you were dying.

If you would like to learn more about loving the perceived mistakes or errors in your life, get in touch with me or any of the other Demartini Method consultants/Facilitators and learn of the magnificence of your life. Parents, do this for your children. If you want to learn more check out www.robinsonequation.com .

Oh… Mrs. Hansen and the school board: Thank you for being you exactly who you are! You have played a huge part in my life in becoming who I am. Because of you, I am reaching and teaching millions of people about true love of self regardless of illusions we might have. Thank you for serving me, my life, and the lives of those whom I touch.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating, I don't think we have 'parochial' schools in the UK - some home educate, but apart from that they are either state (free - probably 30 per class) or private (pay - probably 16-20 per class).
    Well done on your expulsion ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting point from a world perspective. We of course have state schools we call as public. A paraochial school is a religious affiliated school. A religion will start it's own school to control the information that the kids might be learning about God or the religion. It is also help, to ensure they might not be tempted and will follow the way of God as adhered by the religion.

    ReplyDelete