Monday, September 28, 2009

The Truth about Opportunities

I don’t know about many of you, but I used to be run by the “opportunity paradox.” The most painful area of opportunities in my life had do with dating, though has applied to all areas of my life. Since the age of 12 I had been scheming on how to be with the perfect guy. I absolutely had to find the perfect man to “save” me from my parents. Ironically, that never happened. You know why… I learned I really didn’t need saving.

Now… How does this apply to “opportunities?” Hang in with me a little bit and let’s find out.

My friends in their frustration, with me and my fantasy of being with the man of my dreams, decided that I was too narrow minded. They kept telling me over and over: “Your expectations of a man are too high.” I didn’t understand. What I heard them saying was, “Your not good enough for the man you think you want to be with.”

Have you ever felt this way? Have you been told or understood: the career expectations you have are too high; the amount of money you want to make is unrealistic, or having the body of your dreams is impractical? Possibly you have heard similar things about areas that are of more interest to you, though I am certain you have experienced this in one way shape or form.

Well, I decided my friends might be right. Maybe, just maybe I was being too narrow minded about the type of guy I wanted to be with. I started going out with just about anyone who was breathing. Do you know what it is like to go out on a date with someone who you know , that you know, that you feel nothing for this person. Wow…It felt like a total waste of TIME! You know what I learned, I do know what I am attracted to and I know how to spend my valuable time with those I enjoy according to my vlaues.

I still wasn’t “succeeding” in my dating relationships. I still wasn’t with the man of my dreams. You know, the one who was going to “SAVE ME!” What was wrong with me? I graduated from college, I had a great job, I had lots of friends who felt sorry for me. Why couldn’t I do something as simple as this? What was my dysfunction? People everywhere were succeeding at relationships while I was chalking up failure after failure. Have you ever felt this way in your life about something that was important to you; familially, vocationally, financially, spiritually, socially, mentally and/or physically?

Finally I had it!!!! I quit dating completely! For about two years I decided to forget about men and completely focus on what I love to do. I took myself on dates, I took long baths, I got myself massages, and I began the process of loving myself.

Up to that point I had thought that I loved myself. In fact, I was at a seminar where Cherrie Carter-Scott was talking about- ‘one has to truly love them self before they can really be effective in attracting a quality relationship.’ The light bulb started coming on for me. I loved only the things about myself that I thought were worthy of love. I didn’t realize that all of me, both the good and the bad were worthy of love. Hmmmmm- enlightment!?! Maybe at least the beginnings.

Fortunately about this time I came across Dr. Demartini and “The Breakthrough Experience.” Wow, a drastic difference this made for me in my life. It helped me to realize that my faults were lovable. You mean, I can actually fart and the man I am with will still love me? You mean… I can really get mad at the man I love and tell him how I feel and he will still love me? I can still be cranky and mean? What? Are you serious?

I know those of you reading this will think I am silly, but this is a huge breakthrough for me. ( We all have our areas of stupidity. LOL)

When I let go of pretending to be who I thought others expected me to be, and got on with just being me, well my world changed! Within three months after that I met my fiancé. He loves me for me: the brat in me, the lover, the farter, the nurturer, the taker/giver. He just loves me, and doesn’t want to change me one bit. The cool thing is, I love him for exactly who he is. There is nothing to change, and the perceived imperfection I might feel on occasion, well I have learned that is what truly makes him perfect. It also is what makes me perfect- my percieved imperfections.

I am certain you are saying to yourself, I thought this was going to be about opportunities. Well, in life we have lots of opportunities. Opportunities are as certain and plentiful as the sun rising everyday with an abundance of light. Sometimes in our perception the day is cloudy and there are few opportunities. It is just our perceptions clouding the truth in our lives.

We get desperate trying to force or create what we want in our life trying to be something we aren’t. Opportunities that work or don’t work in our perceptions are helping us to learn how to love ourselves for who we are. Some opportunities we take, are endeavors to try to force ourselves to be something that we aren’t. After that we might feel let down, or manipulated, possibly even cheated. You are deserving of all opportunities that occur in your life, and you are worthy of choosing the ones that allow you to be you. Choose the opportunities where you do not have to be a pretender. Choose instead the ones that are in alignment with your values and your authentic self. Choose the ones where your strengths and talents can be used you will be rewarded with increased vitality and energy like you have never known before.

Quit alluding yourself. Find out your real truth, and what your values are. Be who you really are, the world deserves your authentic you, and is willing to embrace the real you (the whole you)! Doing this empowers all seven areas of your life (spiritual, financial, mental, vocational, familial, social, and physical).

If you would like to learn more about who the real you is or what your real hierarchy of values really are contact me at: www.robinsonequation.com. Why? BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT! Why me? BECAUSE I KNOW YOUR DESERVE IT! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment